- Dairy & Alternatives
- Pantry & Baking
- Personal Care
A healthy, hearty, protein and fiber packed soup. Can be prepared on the stove or in an instant pot.
- 1 package of Healthy Done Better’s Dried Bean Soup Mix (2 cups dried beans)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4large carrots peeled and diced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced or grated garlic (fresh)
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes– not drained, OR about 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- OPTIONAL: season with cumin or pepper to your liking to give additional flavor. Or add some fresh parsley leaves.
- VARIATION: substitute chicken broth for the vegetable broth and add 1 cup diced ham for a non-vegan more hearty soup
- Pre-soak dried beans: overnight or for 8 hours in a pot of water covering the beans 2 inches with water. A quicker way to pre-soak your dried beans is to put them into a pot covered with 2 inches of water and bring to a simmer for 2 minutes. Then remove pot from the heat, cover and let steep for 1 hours. Drain beans after soaking.
- Prepare vegetables (wash and cut accordingly). Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until oil shimmers. Sauté carrots, celery, onion and garlic until softened and translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in drained beans, broth, tomatoes, salt and bay leaves. (If adding ham to recipe, stir it in too). Bring to contents to a boil; cover; reduce heat to low, and simmer covered for 2 – 2 ½ hours or until beans and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves; serve and enjoy.
NOTE: Refrigerate leftover for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Soup tends to thicken some as it cools. Yields about 12 cups. Just as tasty eaten chilled vs warm.
If you need to cook this soup super super fast, cook it in an instant pot it takes only 30 minutes. Pre-soak the beans and prepare the vegetables as described in step one and two. Then add all recipe contents to the instant pot, cover with the lid and seal to lock. Use the manual pressure cook mode and set timer to 20 minutes. After let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then change the valve to “venting” to release the rest of the pressure. Once pressure is fully released open the lid; remove bay leaves; serve and enjoy!